Sorry for the time between posts, Google decided that it needed to verify my identity. The thought that a company created glasses that you can surf the web in, but needs to send a postcard to you to verify your identity boggles my mind. Thanks for your patience and here we go!
That crazy idea that sounded good in your head during a dream, where you know the gist of where you are supposed to be going, but haven't quite figured out how it all happened? I'm getting there. Since my last blog, I became unemployed and decided it was the universes' way of directing me to actually start this farm. I have dived in, head first and heart pumping. Always wondering if this is reality or just a dream. My waking hours have shifted into more meaningful thought. Notes are my best friends and the telephone is glued to my head or my hip in case that inspector calls. There is a chaotic circus of sorts making my brainwaves feel more typhoon. There is paperwork for different licensees, grading manuals, printer paper and endless doodles and plans strewn about my desk, turning the black paint into white paper.
And I love it.
After finalizing some of my recipes, most of which had been handed down through the generations, others I created in the need or want of life, I start making labels, each following the law of the land. In TN that is the following:
For any product that is considered non hazardous, Made in a "domestic kitchen" it must include the following:
Name and adress
Product name
Ingrediants and weight
date produced
You must also have a sign made of 8.5x11 with .75" font that reads " this product was made in a private kitchen that has not been inspected nor licensed"
re: http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/tennessee/
Here is my conundrum though. I made a verbal contract with a local and very well known eatery. She agreed to buy all my eggs that I can get from my hens every week for a set price, as long as I have an food license. However, because I have less then 3000 laying hens, I do not qualify under the law to get that license. I contacted my agricultural department and after many hours on the phone, I had an inspector come out two weeks later and give me a license (I passed, YAY). In order to be under compliance, though, I have to register with the FDA- which does not recognize me as needing the license, so it will not register me. I am a determined woman, and this is not the end. I will call the inspector back come monday and the agricultural person that I spoke to and figure this all out.
It does not amaze me why all the business in this country in moving out.
In my free time that does exist, I am looking up things I can make to sell at a reasonable profit, time and price. Today was the first real big event we attended as a farm booth, and we did fairly well. But it could always be better. Over the next 6 months there will be over 8 other events. But some of my newer ideas may have to wait for research; for example: I'd love to sell lemonade at my booth, today alone I witnessed a nearby store almost sell out of their coke and water products because the event we attended was in a field and it soared into the 90's by lunch. To do so however, I need to make sure that no permits in that area exist. I need to make sure that all laws are covered, such as county laws, health laws and labor laws. Does the county that I am serving in allow for beverage sales? Can my children help me at the booth without infringing child labor laws? Does the sale of different sodas and or waters fall out of my license?such are the thoughts of a new business owner. Oh, what a life to have a mentor right about now. I will post again very soon, this woman's head is spinning.
No comments:
Post a Comment