Monday, February 24, 2014

Falling

Our family isn't your average. To say the least we are a modge podge of love and loyalty. You see, when I grew up I envisioned a small country home, much like the one I had the privilege of growing up in. When I was 12; that dream changed to a southern version thanks to a family friend that took me on a journey to VA. Alone, without my annoying brother or family around, I was swept up with the landscape of rolling wheat fields that encased my "aunts" house. The whinny of horses and smell of cow pie from a neighboring farm only concreted my daydreams from then on. Four years later I found myself living on my own with my uncle's very large family, learning the hard way for the next few years that family is not made of blood. Stumbling down the graduation serenade was a very lonely experience, as well as both times I received a degree, and getting married without being given away the first time was jarring enough for me to realize what I really wanted in life. Adventures with family that I created. Having a dozen kids to fulfill that I saw as selfish. This was not about me, it was so that the people that treated me like I mattered and stuck through the thick and thin could be there for the celebrations; Along with the journeys it took to get there. Maybe I couldn't change my past, but I could change other peoples futures, I show them the true meaning of Ohana.

  My nephew, who is on the brink of his 25th year, started living with us about 7 years ago. He is a wonderful help around the house. He contributes through his job, and takes care of the animals and forever ongoing projects throughout the year. He is an avid artist, self declared computer geek and has the best head for ideas and shoulder when they don't work out like planned.

My daughters, where to start. They are 11 and 12,  so learning is their best attribute. They enjoy most of the work revolving around the animals, especially the "babies". I recently started homeschooling them for various reasons I'll delve into later. They've been with us through it all, and although they might not always see my reasonings, they have so many people to help explain me to them.

My husband, the love of my life. We met on a blind date, and have been together ever since. I met him a year and a half after I was divorced. It was not love at first sight. He lived with his mother, at 34, in the city (which I loathed)was 9 years my senior and didn't like kids. He found out on our 3rd date that I had two daughters. After meeting them, he treated them like his. We had a lot more in common though. We wanted out of the state and into the country. We adored one another. On our first serious date we laid all our cards on the table. Things we loved, things we wanted in life, things we hated and things we would not put up with. No surprises we're still together. :)

Our animals come from all areas too. Dogs are 5,4,2,1/2 y.o. first was from a breeder, Harley. Second, a rescue from an abandoned pet shop, Maggie. Third we found on the side of the road two months after moving here, Lizzy. And our latest and final addition was from a humane society, Diesel. The rabbits are from an animal swap, the pigs from a friend, ducks from the co-op, and chickens from tractor supply. and our mouser, i mean cat, Suki- was a stray from up in MA.

You see, Ohana means that no matter your genetic lines, the people that are there for you always, is your true family, or Ohana. For the truly intellectual among us :

oh hah' nah] - Family, immediate and/or extended. Extremely important in Hawaiian culture. We consider you part of our 'Ohana

That's it for tonight and my very first blog post! I plan on going into much detail on farm projects; both finished and started, as well as family business that  might interest any who read them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment